Contact Person Responsible for the project
Mrs. Irene Najjuma
Tel: +256 772 685548, +256 704 679105 Funding partner: Vi Agro forestry
Project Duration: 2012-2017
Project cost: (2015-2017): Ugx : 562,000,000/=
The Development objective of Project is “Farmers with improved livelihoods”. Its Immediate Objectives are
i) To increase sustainable market oriented production among farmers in Lake Victoria basin.
ii) To promote strong and viable cooperatives with capacity to provide sustainable support services to their members.
The project activities include:
1. Support formation and registration of RPOs and ACEs
2. Capacity building of ACE and RPO leaders and staff on governance, management and operations.
3. Support ACEs to prepare business plans and in place policies and guidelines for their operations.
4. Guide Aces and RPOs on resource mobilization.
5. Train farmers on agro forestry techniques and Sustainable Agricultural Land Management.
6. Promote and train farmers in management various improved crop varieties/ livestock breeds.
7. Promote and support construction of water harvesting structures.
8. Promote the use of sustainable energy technologies and saving techniques.
9. Train farmers on climate change mitigation and adaptation.
10. Train farmers on farm business management.
11. Promote and facilitate joint processing and marketing of farm produce.
12. Train farmers in financial literacy and credit utilization.
13. Support formation of VSLAs and SACCOs.
14. Train SACCO and VSLA leaders in governance, management and operations.
15. Support schools to establish and make functional school environment clubs.
Target groups, Location
The Project targets Eight (8) ACEs and their 48 affiliate RPOs in five districts ( Masaka, Lwengo, Rakai, Butambala, Bukomansimbi). A total of 6000 individual
farmers are direct participants in the project.
Link to UCA’s strategic objectives
The project The project is line with UCA’s strategic objective 4.2 Existing Cooperative Models Rolled Out/Scaled Up.and 4.3 An Environment which is Protected, Conserved and Improved On.